ECHA offers mainly two different types of position: temporary agents and contract agents.
Temporary agent posts are classified in two function groups according to the nature and importance of the duties involved.
- Administrators function group (AD) covers twelve grades from AD 5 to AD 16 corresponding to technical, administrative, advisory, linguistic and scientific duties.
- Assistants function group (AST) covers eleven grades from AST 1 to AST 11 corresponding to executive, technical and clerical duties.
In general, a temporary agent contract has the duration of five years with the possibility of renewal for a definite period. If renewed for a second time, the contract will be for an indefinite period.
Contract agent positions are classified in four function groups according to the duties and responsibilities involved.
- Function group I corresponds to administrative support service tasks.
- Function group II corresponds to secretarial tasks and office management tasks.
- Function group III corresponds to executive, drafting and accountancy and tasks.
- Function group IV corresponds to administrative, advisory, and linguistic tasks.
The duration of contracts for contract agents is a maximum of three years with the possibility of renewal for a definite period. If renewed for a second time, the contract will be for an indefinite period.
Contract agents recruited for more than one year have a probationary period of nine months.