National Inspectorates - Netherlands
The enforcement of REACH, CLP and Biocides Regulations in The Netherlands is through the cooperation of several Inspectorates. These are the Inspectorate SZW (former Labour Inspectorate), The Health Care Inspectorate (IGJ), the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT) and the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA).
The Inspectorates ILT, NVWA, SZW staff a REACH and CLP Enforcement Coordination Point which is responsible for the supervision of compliance with REACH and CLP. The Coordination point consists of a REACH and CLP Enforcement Steering Group and a REACH and CLP Enforcement Alliance. The Steering Group is tasked with promoting underlying coordination, uniformity and simplification of enforcement. This Steering Group is authorised to:
- Establish and revise the strategy and a (multi-annual) enforcement programme.
- Establish arrangements for joint enforcement.
The Enforcement Alliance is responsible for preparations, support and internal (with Inspectorates and Ministries) and external liaison on the enforcement of REACH and CLP Regulations.
The ILT is the enforcement coordination inspectorate for Biocides. The Inspectorates ILT, NVWA, IGJ, SZW and Water Boards will meet periodically for consultation and reconciliation.
Authorities responsible for REACH, CLP and Biocides enforcement
Enforcement of REACH and CLP
Each target group should deal with one single Inspectorate as contact point for the relevant supervision:
- The Inspectorate SZW (ISZW) supervise the professional users of substances and preparations.
- The Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT) supervise producers, importers and dealers of substances, preparations and items for professional use.
- The Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA) supervise producers, importers and dealers in preparations and items for consumers.
Enforcement of Biocides
The ILT supervise the production, import, distribution and use of all biocides for professional use (i.e. excluding consumer products) and Pestcontrol competent users.
- The NVWA supervise producers, distributors and users of consumer products and professional biocides in a number of specific sectors, namely the food industry (PT04), the wellness sector / beauty industry and the agricultural sector.
- The IGJ monitor the use of biocides in hospitals and healthcare institutions
- The ISZW supervise occupational and industrial end-users for the health of workers
- The water boards supervise water quality related Product types like PT 21
- These authorities also cooperate with the State Supervision of Mines (SodM) and the Dutch Customs regarding the enforcement of REACH, CLP and BIOCIDES Regulations.
Enforcement of PIC
The enforcement of the PIC regulation is done by ILT.
Enforcement of POP
The enforcement of the POP regulation is done by NVWA and ILT.