Want to search for the relevant question and answer in your own language? Change the language in the dropdown menu above.


REACH Registration

Who has to register substances?

Only a natural or legal person established within the European Economic Area (EEA)/EU can be a registrant. Registration must take place when this person:

  1. manufactures a substance within the EU in quantities of 1 tonne or more per year;
  2. imports a substance into the EU of quantities of 1 tonne or more per year; or
  3. has been appointed as an only representative according to Article 8 of REACH (see FAQs on Only Representative of non-EU manufacturer).

The national law of each country provides the specific provisions concerning natural or legal personality and when such a natural or legal person is established in its territory.

A company not established within the EU does not have direct obligations under REACH. For obligations of a non-EU company, please see to FAQ 12.

In order to identify your obligations, please use the Navigator tool:

This tool is designed to help companies in determining their obligations under REACH and find the appropriate guidance on how to fulfil them.

Categories Display