Want to search for the relevant question and answer in your own language? Change the language in the dropdown menu above.

The UKs withdrawal from the EU


My UK-based company is currently acting as an Only Representative of a non-EU company. Once the United Kingdom leaves the European Union, how will that affect our status of Only Representative?

The REACH Regulation is very clear in this regard. According to its Article 8, Only Representatives shall be legally established within the EU. After the UK withdrawal, this will mean the territory of the EU-27/EEA. The company having appointed you as Only Representative will need to appoint an Only Representative based in one of the EU-27 Member States or the three EEA countries.

This change of Only Representative must take place ahead of the UK withdrawal. It must be notified to ECHA (through the ‘Legal entity change functionality’ in REACH-IT) without undue delay, and you will be required to provide proof of the new Only Representative’s appointment from the non-EU company.

Please note that the legal entity change fee will be charged per non-EU company represented (i.e. per REACH-IT account).

My UK-based company has paid the requisite fee to ECHA for the registration of our substance whilst the United Kingdom is currently still a Member State of the European Union. Will ECHA charge the payment of a fee for a legal entity change in the case that our company transfers our REACH registrations or the Only Representative status to an Only Representative based in the EU-27?

Under the provisions of the REACH Fee Regulation, our Agency will indeed charge the foreseen fee. The circumstance of the UK withdrawal from the EU does not provide a legal basis for waiving the charge of fees.

What does my UK-based company need to keep in mind when we appoint an Only Representative (OR) in an EU-27 Member State?

You should only appoint an OR who has a sufficient background in the practical handling of substances and of the information related to them, as required by Article 8(2) of the REACH Regulation. As your representative, the OR will bear all responsibilities of importers under the Registration Title and other titles of the REACH Regulation. Among them, the OR shall keep available and up-to-date information on the quantities imported and customers sold to, as well as information on the supply of the latest update of the SDS. Please also remember to inform the importers within the same supply chain of the OR appointment. ECHA’s webpages provide more detailed information on the role of Only Representatives

My company is a manufacturer of a substance, located outside the EU / EEA. We have appointed an Only Representative, who is located in the UK. What do we need to do in preparation of the UK withdrawal from the EU?

You can appoint a new Only Representative, located within the EU-27/EEA. This requires that the old and the new Only Representatives collaborate in making a ‘legal entity change’ in REACH-IT. The new appointment must take place ahead of the UK withdrawal and be notified to ECHA (through the ‘Legal entity change’ functionality in REACH-IT) without undue delay.

Categories Display