Notification of substances in articles
Producers and importers have to notify to ECHA the substances listed on the Candidate list which are present in their articles, if both the following conditions are met:
- The substance is present in their relevant articles above a concentration of 0.1% weight by weight.
- The substance is present in these relevant articles in quantities totalling over one tonne per year.
Companies have to notify no later than six months after the inclusion of the substance in the Candidate List.
There are two cases when a notification will not need to be required.
- The producer or importer of an article can exclude the exposure of humans and the environment to the substance during normal or reasonably foreseeable conditions of use of the article, including its disposal. In these cases, the producers and importers will give appropriate instructions to the recipient of the article.
- The substance has already been registered by a manufacturer or importer in the EU for that use.
Article 7(2) (REACH Regulation)
- How to submit a notification
- Questions and Answers on the notification procedure
- Data Submission Manual Part 20 for substances in articles[PDF]
- Webinar on substances in articles notifications (May 2011)
- Information leaflet on substances in articles notifications[PDF]
- Data on Candidate List substances in articles