Petites et moyennes entreprises (PME)
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) benefit from fee reductions under both the REACH and CLP Regulations, depending on their size as a medium-sized, small or micro enterprise.
Before declaring an SME size category in REACH-IT, companies need to make sure that they are familiar with the relevant SME definitions. The Commission Recommendation 2003/361/EC is the sole authentic basis for determining the conditions regarding qualification as micro, small or medium-sized enterprise.
For Only Representatives (ORs), the pertinent assessment of whether the fee reduction for SMEs applies shall be determined by the relevant data of the enterprise that is represented by that OR, including relevant information from linked and partner companies of that enterprise, in accordance with the Commission Recommendation.
Remember that the registrant is entirely responsible for the correctness and authenticity of the information provided in the process of the dossier submission in REACH-IT. If you are using the services of third parties to help you determine the correct size of your company or the company that you represent as an OR, ECHA does not assume any responsibility for the accuracy of the advice given by third parties.
How to determine the company size category
Step-by-step instructions on assessing the company size category.
What to do if you incorrectly indicated the SME size category
If you indicated the incorrect company size category in REACH-IT, read the following instructions on how to inform ECHA.
ECHA has the responsibility to check the size of the companies who claim to be eligible for SME fee reductions to ensure fair competition.
Following the verification procedure on the declared SME size category, ECHA levies an administrative charge from any registrant who incorrectly claimed to be entitled to a fee reduction.
- SME size verification - reductions to the administrative charge 25 February 2013
- ECHA protects SME privileges 16 November 2012
- ECHA encourages registrants to ensure their company size is correctly declared21 February 2012
- Charges for companies wrongly registering as SMEs 26 November 2010
- ECHA e-News20 October 2010
- ECHA encourages SME registrants to verify their company size29 July 2010
- The European Commission Recommendation 2003/361/EC [PDF]
- Management Board decision MB/D/29/2010 [PDF] [EN]
- Management Board decision MB/21/2012 amending Decision MB/D/29/2010 [PDF] [EN]
- Consolidated version of Management Board decisions MB/D/29/2010 and MB/21/2012
- Fee Regulation (EC) No 340/2008 [PDF]
- Fee Regulation Amendment (EC) No 254/2013 [PDF]
- European Commission - The new SME definition - User guide and model declaration [PDF]
- Electronic SME test
- European Portal for SME
- Enterprise Europe Network
- SME National Contact Points
- Webinar: SMEs and REACH