ECHA offers mainly two different types of position: temporary agents and contract agents.
Temporary agent posts are classified in two function groups according to the nature and importance of the duties involved.
- Administrators function group (AD) covers twelve grades from AD 5 to AD 16 corresponding to technical, administrative, advisory, linguistic and scientific duties.
- Assistants function group (AST) covers eleven grades from AST 1 to AST 11 corresponding to executive, technical and clerical duties.
In general, a temporary agent contract has the duration of five years with the possibility of renewal for a definite period. If renewed for a second time, the contract will be for an indefinite period.
The probationary period of temporary agents is six months.
Contract agent positions are classified in four function groups according to the duties and responsibilities involved.
- Function group I corresponds to administrative support service tasks.
- Function group II corresponds to secretarial tasks and office management tasks.
- Function group III corresponds to executive, drafting and accountancy and tasks.
- Function group IV corresponds to administrative, advisory, and linguistic tasks.
The duration of contracts for contract agents is a maximum of three years with the possibility of renewal for a definite period. If renewed for a second time, the contract will be for an indefinite period.
Contract agents recruited for more than one year have a probationary period of nine months.